Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Just Run!

Sometimes you don't want to do something.  Sometimes you don't want to work out.  Whatever that work out might be.  Yesterday we had a funeral to attend.  We were there from basically 8am-2pm.  It was a long day.  When we got home I literally put my PJ's on, laid on the couch and read my kindle.  But as 3:00 rolled around I knew I needed to get off my lazy butt and go for a run.  Yesterday was a gorgeous day.  It was in the 40's and sunny.  There was wind, but I could run and out and back keeping the wind blowing at me from the side.  I did *not* want to run.  I cannot tell you how badly I didn't want to run.   I literally felt like doing this: 




Yes that would be a temper tantrum.  I really thought about crying.  I was exhausted from 2 nights of not sleeping well and the day we just had.  But I was also mad at my husband and I wanted out of the house.  So I did.  I changed clothes and got out of the door before I could think about it. 



I felt damn good with the avg pace of this run.  :)  I started off refusing to look at my Garmin.  Just run.   I really was mad so I think that's how I managed to keep up a fairly good second mile.  About a week or so ago I ran into my neighbor and he talked to me about intervals.  I had been thinking of doing intervals for some time now, but I'm lazy.  No lie.  He said it really helps the pace.  So somewhere just before the end of mile 2 I decided to do it.  Running on the backroads I used the telephone poles as markers.  I ran "fast" from one to the next, then slow to the next one, then "fast" again.  This is what saved my mile 3 from being slow.  I finally set my Garmin to beep at me if I get below an 11:40 pace and it sure did beep at me during mile 3.  Especially when I went up the one and only hill near my house.  But I tried to repeat a few intervals.   I thought it would be more obvious in my Garmin stats, but it's not.  Maybe cause they weren't long enough and I probably didn't vary my pace as much as I felt like I did. 



You can see some hills and valleys there near the end in the pace and the cadence.  So I did do something.  I was sure huffing and puffing when I was done!

I just can't tell you how proud I am of myself for doing this run.  It would have been so easy to lay there and keep reading.  I feel like these kind of days are going to keep me successful.  It's all abotu consistency. 




No comments:

Post a Comment