Pages

Friday, June 12, 2015

Road Trip!

Impromptu road trip is happening tomorrow!  Where am I going? 



Churchill Downs baby!!!!   To see American Pharoah!    

I found out earlier this week that there is a Triple Crown celebration going on at the races tomorrow night.  I have a friend that loves racing way more than me.  She follows it all year.  I follow the crown races.  So after much debate and feelings of guilt on my part, I decided to skip helping at the horse show at my barn as well a surprise 50th birthday party.  I'm going to partake in a small part of history!  Apparently the triple crown winner takes a victory lap at their home track.  Who knew?  Certainly not me since the last one was before I was born.  But I figure who knows when the next triple crown will happen (though I wonder if we won't have a few winners in the coming years - they sometimes seem to come in spurts as there was 3 in the 1970s) and who knows if the winning horse's home track will be so close to me.  Louisville is 4 hours from me. 

So yesterday we booked a hotel (fingers crossed that it isn't crappy) and we bought reserved seating for the races.  I'm so excited!  I have never been to the races at Churchill.  As a matter of fact, the only time I've been to Churchill was at around mile 8 (I think!) of my half marathon last year.  We ran through the infield.  Though since I'd never been there we took a walk break to enjoy it.  So this will be super exciting. 

I don't normally do impromptu stuff like this.  I also don't bail on commitments.  But after talking to a few people (my husband, my mom, anyone that would listen) I decided that I'd regret not going to see this.  So off we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment