Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I'm a runner!

Never in a million years would I have thought I would say that. I'm a runner! It feels so foreign.


This weekend I was talking to a friend that I hadn't talked to in a while. Unlike most of my friends she is never ever on FB. So she has no idea that I started running. I mentioned that the day prior I ran in the fog and my hair got so wet. She said you run now? I replied, yes I'm a runner. And that was so weird.




When I was in Jr High we had "conditioning" in PE class. Every two weeks we had to run a mile. I think we had 20 mins to do this. Which is probably an avg mile walk pace. I would start running like the rest of the class. Then of course because I was out of shape and a bit chubby I'd get a side stitch and I'd walk. But I would try to alternate walking and running. But I would get this horrible itchy heat rash type thing on my legs. It was horrible. I'd have to walk while scratching my thighs the whole time. The more I scratched the worse it got, but I couldn't NOT scratch. As a result I've never really exercised outside. Once I got to an age where I wanted to work out I joined a gym. I've always feared working out outside because I hated this rash! I didn't know what caused it. It was annoying. It would only happen if I really exerted myself. General PE type sports didn't do it, but the running did. In college I took yoga and horseback riding as my PE classes. This has never ever happened while riding. Not once. A few years ago I got curious and tried to google this issue. The best I could find was exercise induced urticaria. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_urticaria *shrug* I read posts from people that experienced this. The best "cure" I could find was to take an antihistamine prior to exercising. So with this in mind I never ever thought I would run. Ever.

In Jan I decided I wanted to sign up for a 5K. Worse case I walk the whole thing. I started running outside. . . but it was cold. So I thought maybe I wouldn't get the itchy rash thing unless it was hot enough. I don't remember specific details about when I'd get it when I was younger. So I pushed on. . . fearing the day the temps started to rise. Well summer is here. Yes I know it's spring but it's summer temps out there. We've had temps in the 80's. I've ran in these temps with no itchy rashes! YAY! Maybe I outgrew this? Maybe it is a result of being more fit? I don't know. I guess I don't care. I just hope that when the "real" summer gets here that I continue without the rash. *fingers crossed*

So I'm a runner. What makes me say that? The fact that I run at 7AM on weekends! OMG.


The fact that I want to get a run in almost every day. I don't obviously, but I do run about 5 days a week. However now that I have a new personal trainer that I meet with 2 times a week, I may cut the running back so that I can have a complete day off.

And then there is today. . . I totally went out of control and ate two doughnuts. We have customers here this week. They always eat at Thai House when they are in town. I asked when they were going as I wanted to go. I have no work friends so I rarely go out to lunch and when I do, no one wants to go to Thai House. They told me tomorrow was the day. Well that changed and at 11:15 I found out it was today. There was NO way I could eat those kind of carbs after what I ate this morning. Just no way. I even felt bloated. So I bailed. I went to the park and I ran three miles. Keep in mind that I have a session with my trainer at 5PM tonight. I just had to run. There was no other option. My body was screaming to run. So I ran. It stopped screaming at about 1.5 miles, but I pushed on! lol.


I have discovered that I hate running on tracks. The track at the park is a 1 mile loop (pavement). Until today the most I've done was 2 miles. Mostly due the time it takes and the time constraints of my lunch break. But today I decided I could stay late if necessary and I was going to do 3 miles. Now every time I've done 2 miles I've thought to myself "you can do one more." But by the time I get to the end of that 2nd lap there is just no way. It's become a nemesis. I'd rather run out and back like I do from my house than run the same loop three times. Blah! But I did it. And I'm happy I did. I burned 500 cal. Will that cover the doughnuts? Maybe. :) I'm going to be good the rest of the day. I said that in my earlier post and with TOM here, my pants are feeling mighty tight. lol

Again, it feels weird to say "I'm a runner".


1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean! A coworker commented today to another coworker that I was a runner now and I thought that was weird. I have always gone for walks, or for jogs, now I go for runs. :-) It's nice.

    I also understand the longing to go running every day, I am going 6 days a week and feel guilty on the one day I take off. I hate, hate the first mile, but once I get into the groove, it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete